Here are five quick and effective tips for flu season. The flu is here and many people are searching for strategies THAT WORK to get through the congested season (pun intended). We have been been helping many of our practice members cope with their clogged sinuses and runny noses with natural, toxin-free solutions lately so we thought we would put it out for everyone to read! Here are the 5 most effective recommendations to help you through the flu season this year, and every year.
- Hot water with REAL lemon juice and ACV. This is our number one go-to in the mornings when we are feeling a flu-like symptom coming on. Heat up some water in the tea kettle, squeeze a lemon slice into your coffee mug, and add a splash of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar. The acidity of the lemon juice and ACV will stimulate your immune system to spring into action! Add some local honey in there as well to help with any throat soreness (and adds flavor).
- Elderberry Syrup (link here). This is PROVEN to be effective at preventing the flu (link here) and is one of our favorites. The juice from this fruit has been used for hundreds of years and has many antioxidants powerful at fighting viruses and infections.
- Restful Sleep. And this means restful. Turn off all screens at least an hour before bedtime to allow your mind to stop firing while you are in deep REM sleep. It is well-recommended to get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep, so plan for it in advance! If you are well hydrated when you head to bed, there is a good chance you will wake up feeling like a whole new person in the morning.
- Get a dehumidifier (link here). When the temperature outside drops we spend more time indoors. When we spend more time indoors we create and kick up more dust in our homes. A dehumidifier will help clear the air in your home so that your body has a chance to fight the congestion while you are at home resting. If you are resting in an environment that is constantly continuing to clog up your sinuses, it is very difficult to get out of the cycle.
- Get adjusted. Last but not least, if you are looking for ways to ensure that your body has the best fighting chance to deal with this year’s flu season AND years to come, it is essential to get checked and adjusted consistently. We find that with our practice members, they have better immune systems and a better ability to adapt to the changes in temperature. Sinus massages after an adjustment may also drain your sinuses on the car ride home… so bring a tissue.
More and more people are turning to natural and holistic alternatives to help with their symptoms. They are learning that drugs don’t always work and there are often side effects that come along with them. We strive to teach a healthy lifestyle that supports our bodies’ natural ability to heal itself. This includes chiropractic adjustments, good nutrition, quality exercise, sleep and healthy relationships. Connect with your health first in order to better connect with others!